Why not a private news server?

Eric Clark eclark at hoser.com
Mon Nov 29 23:07:49 GMT 1999

On Mon, 29 Nov 1999, gabe wrote:

> Clive Apps Techno-Logicals 416 510 0020 wrote:
> <snip>
>
> > I have trn running on a SCO box
> > there is no option on this verion to enable alternate newsservers and
> > there is no free/shareware version available that is compatible
> > the admin will not allow it
> > security issues etc.
> >
> > not everone iw runnign a MickyCrap OS ( or wants to)
> Just a thought, but....
>
> I am by no means a MS lover, but you are the one complaining that your OS cannot do this
> and cannot do that, and software is not avail., etc.  It seems to me that you don't need to
> be casting OS stones.

SCO is by no means the best unix ever made.  It is not the OS he is
complaining about, but his admin.  trn can be compliled to allow the user
to set the NNTP server by doing export NNTPSERVER=blah.com.  There is a
whole world of alternatives if the admin would allow them.

> If there are quite a few of us out there that cannot read News, then that is a valid reason
> not to consider a Private news server, the other reasons so far are quite lame though.

I agree.

> It was just a suggestion for a low bandwidth/good security permanent solution, free of
> using an outside source/advertiser, I certainly hope others with suggestions do not get
> discouraged to post their ideas for fear of getting ripped into.....  Maybe Sunsite IS the
> way to go, haven't looked at it.

Personally I'm going to drop the subject of a private news server, I would
rather back the sunsite idea.

-Eric