One-List Vote

Shannen Durphey shannen at grolen.com
Tue Nov 30 00:45:27 GMT 1999

Greg Hermann wrote:

> >this newbie votes yes
> >Mike swayze

I vote no vote needed.... yet.

> I like onelist, but this decision is up to John, Orin, and Steve. If they
> have something private set up fine. If they get desperate, Onelist would be
> OK---but it's their choice, at least until they abdicate !
Agreed!  Everybody's willing to act on this "emergency", and it's
specifically been declared a non emergency.  Wherever the current
members go, I'll go.  But you bet I'm going to stick with JG and Orin
if they extend the effort to set up a server, too.  Wouldn't it be a
shame if the efi lists get split into yet smaller groups.  Fewer
contributors in each, possibly less to offer, can't be good.  Does a
"Onelist" list suffer from lack of maintenance?  Is it even "our"
list?  What happens if some well meaning newbie posts a file that
shouldn't be posted?  Could "our" list be cancelled?  Is there any
chance that "Onelist" will fall a victim to some new corporate policy,
and leave us having the same conversation in a year?

> Private would certainly be better, at least in my mind, but no lists at all
> would be truly a shame!
Yes, this is true.  There's a fair amount of time left, and there's no
lack of enthusiam to keep things going.  There will be another place
to get together, I'm confident about that.

> I thought we had till the first of the year to do something, John et al
> have been silent on this over the holiday, but that's surely
> understandable--let's give them a reasonable chance to let us know what's
> up!!

If setting up a new list on Onelist takes some type of registration,
let's cover our mules and "reserve" whatever we need to.  But only as
a "Plan B".  For years, JG (with help) has kept this list, and has
allowed quite a bit of freedom of topics considering the charter.  I
think a Onelist vote now is like scrambling for the lifeboats at the
first sign of trouble.  Maybe we ought to wait for a report from the
crew.

Shannen