Best EFI Choice? (GM, EECIV, Mopar)

Shannen Durphey shannen at grolen.com
Tue Oct 5 01:40:07 GMT 1999

Lot of good suggestions have been posted.  I recommend a
straightforward "swap" to get your feet wet.  The 454 Chevy has been
released with TBI and later with PFI (96+), and (if you're lucky) all
the necessary hardware for a conversion can be found on one vehicle.
If you haven't tuned many vehicles, you may want to simply get up and
running beore making any attempts at modifying stock programming.  I
think that a toy is no fun if I have to spend all my time working on
it.

Asking about ecm speeds, software decoding, external adapters, etc. is
akin to deciding what type of car to hot rod based on the 1/4 mi times
at the drags and what tools are available for working on it.  If you
spend the time to swap a GM system, you'll likely develop a feel for
GM electronics which will lead to more work with GM products.  Same
with Ford.  Like others have said, I've seen little done with Chrysler
efi.

For me, "tunability" is a major factor.  "Programming 101" in the
DIY_EFI archives discusses the 1227747 GM ECM, which is commonly found
in pickups and some other light trucks from 87 to 91.  It's used on
tbi systems from 4.3l to 454 ci, with manual and auto trans.  It's a
fairly common system and it shouldn't be too difficult to find enough
information to make some modifications when you're up and running.  My
suggestion (because I know GM products) is to start with this ECM.
Shannen