Step 1 completed(long)

Mike Rolica mrolica at meridian-mag.com
Tue Oct 5 14:06:16 GMT 1999

Thanks to many of the members in this group, I finally got all the bugs out
of my 355 TPI (165ecm)  in my s15 4x4. I would like to thank David Cooley,
Mike V, ludis??, Grumpy (hope your feelin' better), Mike Davis, Peter F,
Vance Rose and anybody else that may have helped me out.  I overcame my vss
problem this weekend.  I have apyu prom from 89 firebird.  I put in an
inline generator in my speedo cable and from it a npn transistor and drove
the ECM with an open collector.  But I had a slight problem.  There was no
more code 24 but the tcc locked up as soon as it went into 2nd gear.  After
some meditation on the porclin throne,  I figured the ECM thought it was
going faster than it actually was.  I then hooked up a tack  for 4cyl to the
output to verify this. It should have read 1000rpm at 60mph  for 2000p/m unit
or 2000rpm at 60mph for 4000p/m unit.  Yep, It wanted 2000p/mile not 4000.
I then made a trip to the local wrecking yard, picked up an have optical
type sensor off of a blazer, and now ECM works fine. No codes or problems.
Fuel mileage is now up to 29mpg.  Also if any of you guys state side need
ecm's, up here they are $65 Canadian, which is about $40 American and I've
found about every type that has been talked about on this site.
One last note.
Now that everything is working properly, I would like to start making some
programming changes.  I downloaded a bin file editor that runs in Java for
the sy-ty ecm,s. Just wondering if there is anything like that for a 165
ECM? If not, I would like to work on or assist on making a program like
this.  I bought a Snap-On scan tool from a local mech. for $35, so the
diacom can bite salt for the almost $1200 Canadian they want!  Now I just
need a prom burner.

BTW how do you exactly get the bin file from the prom?  Is there some type
of compiler?
Mike Rolica
EXT. 260
 :-)