Step 1 completed(long)

Dave Zug dzug at delanet.com
Wed Oct 6 05:28:14 GMT 1999

I was waiting for someone else to suggest terryk's GMEPRO
terryk at foothill.net he's a member here. the package already exists yes and
is very good. there are others too that I have no experience with.

the MCU is an iteration of a motorola 68HC11 don't try to match the pins up
with a MOT diagram somehow the uP is custom wired internally I think <?>
the impotent part is using the right dissasembler for the right instruction
set. I think maybe program changes isnt what you are really after.. just
data changes (for now maybe). try terry's program to change parameters and
if you find you want to reprogram your ALDL stream or stretch some tables to
larger H x W or add some twinge to a conversion algorithm you dont agree
with then get into the code. go to www.mot-sps.com there are freeware
simulators and disassemblers if you really want to get info-overload.  PS
folks I have the MOT ICS05 package its really a nifty CHEAP ($99) good
starter setup for doing uP projects. it simulates AND BURNS-EM! comes with a
$35 sample windowed HC05C8 too.

Generically, to get the information from a prom to a file, the software
sequentially indexes the address pins on the chip and records the state of
the data pins. or in operator terms.. you just tell the software what chip
you want to read, put it in the reader/burner thats been set up for the
proper voltages and press GO. then you have a binary file which must be
disassembled back to program code for that particular microprocessor in the
system. you need to know where the program starts in the file as
dissasembling from the beginning will produce worthless code if the
beginning of the file is internal permanant variable (oxymoron alert oops)
storage or something generic like that. the program start location is in
most cases located at the reset vector location in the memory map, which may
be, in generic terms, contained within the last few bytes of the addressed
space, which is commonly located in the last few locations of the prom
itself, where a single prom is used. In some computer systems, a portion or
all of the code may be contained in secured places on the micro itself. on
some computer systems (non-EFI that I know of, limited as my info is) some
code may be contained on a dongle or detatchable "KEY" used for security
reasons. Okay thats enough info I guess.

remember that you can damage your engine (yea I blew a head gasket
tinkering) and you can ruin a perfectly emissions legil two hundred and
thirty degree water car.. which I would never think of doing and officially
do not advocate.  ;

hope that gets you pointed where you want to go.. hey people try not to
trash me but correct me If I messed up k? hey mike do I get a "mention" now?
he hee ;-)