Turbo LT-1

Frederic Breitwieser frederic at xephic.dynip.com
Thu Oct 7 01:26:26 GMT 1999

> What about Supercharging? There are some very nice kits available for the
> LT1. I think a Vortech T-Trim with Aftercooler would fit the bill. Of
> course, you need new pistons, head work, and blower cam, but there's guys
> running *emissions legal* 500+ rwhp with these superchargers.

Nothing wrong with a supercharger... in fact over the years, I had this
one paxton blower that I've moved from car to car to car.  Great
solution, fairly easy to install over fabricating a turbocharged system,
and you get the blast of air right off the line with minimal lag if the
blower is sized right.  Different ways to achieve the same goal.  Its
been my experience (for street cars anyway), blowers give a lot more
ooomth off the line, where as turbos tend to make it up in the top end.
Depends on so many different variables that my suggested rule of thumb
is very subjective.

My twin-turbo stroker is an example of refuting my above statement - by
4000 RPM the turbos were at their limit.  A supercharger would have been
an as good as solution.  However, the advantage of turbo is that the
parts are more readily available on the cheap - superchargers brand new
still tend to be 3 grand and upwards.  And while there are a lot of
underhood blowers (paxton, vortech, etc) still, the coveted weiland
requires a large hood hole :)

Well, I'll stop here since I've really not said anything useful :)

--

Frederic Breitwieser
Xephic Technology

Tele: (203) 372-2707