Turbo LT-1....now bent rods

EFISYSTEMS at aol.com EFISYSTEMS at aol.com
Sun Oct 10 09:08:07 GMT 1999

Hi,
        I have personally bent a stock rod in a 383 chev with a 5.7"
rod.....Kinda poor rod ratio and was making way too much immediate boost in a
6300lb vehicle with a stock stall converter and 3.42 gears AE afr was 10:1
and after that was 11.5:1(under boost, If this had been in a faster
accellerating application I doubt it would have happened).  Obviously I was
getting on the throttle hard so I could do the transient AFR's and after
quite a few of these I detected a ticking sound coming from the
engine...coudn't pinpoint it,,,,checked the trans and flexplate,killed
individual cylinders, finally pulled the pan and started checking
bearings,,,,everything was cherry until I noticed a shiny line on one of the
cranks counterweights, it had shortened the rod(when it bent) just enough
that the counterweight was slightly hitting the pin boss of the
piston......decided at that point that if it would bend a rod then the next
thing it would do with better rods is probably break a main cap, so out it
came and got billet splayed main caps, lunati 4340 crank and Oliver rods,
has over 25,000 miles on it now and still going strong.....just some feedback
for the "shit happens" file.  ttyl
-Carl Summers
p.s.  As for the bearings being burnt up, anytime I see that, it is from
improper rod and/or main bearing clearances and/or from the wrong wt
oil.....that 50 wt oil and .0026" rod clearances and .003" main clearance (in
this particular app)provide a much needed cushion for extreme environment
applications. hth's

In a message dated 10/10/99 12:40:49 AM Pacific Daylight Time,