LT1 LOW FUEL PRESSURE

Shannen Durphey shannen at grolen.com
Tue Oct 19 23:59:50 GMT 1999

David Cooley wrote:

> At 01:34 PM 10/19/1999 -0400, you wrote:
> >Regarding the LT1 low pressure... the statement low pressure is an
> >understatement!!!  Roughly 200 kilopascals (kpa) is equal to 30 pounds per
> >sqaure inch (psi).  If you only have 1-2 kpa of pressure that's a fraction
> >of a psi.  L98 engines (I believe) typically run at about 32 psi with the
> >factory regulator but adjustables can boost that up.  The tank pump should
> >be more than capable.  Something sounds fishy here.  In other words, is the
> >gauge known good?
>
> I'd either suspect a leak at the pump or a bad regulator...
> The original poster had said the guage showed the right pressures on an LT1.

Couple of things to watch for:  Using the plastic clamps and rubber
sender/pump connecting hose for the tbi system with the tpi pump can
cause problems.  The low pressure rated hose will leak.  Using regular
off the shelf carb pressure rated fuel line for a connector can do the
same thing.  Using metal clamps and overtightening them can cause
troubles.  Also, the isolator used on some systems is an oval shaped
piece of plastic that slips over the sender and pump.  It can leak
arounf the pump/isolator or isolator/sender union.  I found enough of
these that every car equipped with one gets a new part if the pump's
replaced.
Shannen