Bosch MAF sensor question

David Cooley n5xmt at bellsouth.net
Wed Oct 20 15:16:22 GMT 1999

At 10:03 AM 10/20/1999 -0500, you wrote:

>Those of us that have fooled around with ford eec-iv setups have found a
>fairly
>easy way to compensate for increased airflow through the motor, causing the
>computer to peg at max too early.  The solution is to use a larger maf housing
>and proportionally larger injectors (or higher fuel pressure).
>
>By keeping the sampling tube (the ring with the thin wires inside)
>constant, the
>maf will read proportionally lower airflow numbers with increase in housing
>size.  That's due to the air velocity through the sampling tube dropping (at
>constant cfm) with the larger housing.

The problem you'd run into is that most GM maf's are molded as a one piece
unit... Can't pull the electronics and sampling tube out to slide into
another housing like the ford...

The other downside to increasing MAF diameter is the larger you go, the
less sensitive it is to low flow rates and idle/low speed driveability can
suffer.

I'm currently playing with a Ford EEC-V on my V8 5.0L explorer.

David Cooley N5XMT Internet: N5XMT at bellsouth.net
Packet: N5XMT at KQ4LO.#INT.NC.USA.NA T.A.P.R. Member #7068
We are Borg... Prepare to be assimilated!