Bosch MAF sensor question

Daniel Ciobota dciobota at hiwaay.net
Wed Oct 20 16:05:35 GMT 1999

David Cooley wrote:

> The problem you'd run into is that most GM maf's are molded as a one piece
> unit... Can't pull the electronics and sampling tube out to slide into
> another housing like the ford...

I know, that sucks big time... I looked into that at one time myself, too much
trouble to figure out how to take the unit apart and putting it together without
destroying it.  Someone more enterprising might want to play with a dead unit and
see if it can be done.

> The other downside to increasing MAF diameter is the larger you go, the
> less sensitive it is to low flow rates and idle/low speed driveability can
> suffer.

Yes, true if you're looking at 80mm housings or larger, but the 73-75mm housings I
played with were fine for low speed driveability... and this was on a 450+ hp car.
The biggest culprit at that point becomes the large throttle body needed,
introducing a lot of turbulence and screwing up the air flow through the iac.

> I'm currently playing with a Ford EEC-V on my V8 5.0L explorer.

D'oh, eec-v is what I meant!  Dang, not even a year since I sold the car and forget
everything already...  5.0 ford motors are a blast to work with, btw.  If you need
any tuning tips, don't hesitate to ask.  I may remember something every now and
then.  ;-)

Daniel