When asking ecm questions

Frederic Breitwieser frederic at xephic.dynip.com
Sat Oct 23 18:20:49 GMT 1999

> OK, another stupid question. The 7148 ECM used in the FWDers, is that the
> same computer as in the GN/TType? or is the rom different? ie, could I go to
> a boneyard, snatch up a few ECM's, throw a GN cal in em, and use em?

Well, I've done that (more or less).  The FWD 7148 ECM are much more
plentiful, so they are cheaper, at least here in CT.  What you do is
slightly rewire the FWD wiring harness to match the GN wiring harness of
the same year, then change the prom.  I've done it a few times, and it
works AOK :)

In fact, I slapped a turbo onto a FWD 3.8L engine with the 7148 with
only the minor ECM wiring changes in the connectors, and it worked fine
until the engine blew up (FWD motors have much weaker cranks than the
fillet GN crank).

If I recall, its three or four wires that you flip out using a safety
pin, and move, thoug its been about 2 years, so I might be off.

--

Frederic Breitwieser
Xephic Technology

Tele: (203) 372-2707