programmer, and eraser questions

Shannen Durphey shannen at grolen.com
Sun Oct 24 20:04:33 GMT 1999

Craig Moates wrote:

> Folks,

<snip>
> For reprogramming EPROMs, I'm also considering the Intronics Pocket
> Programmer ($130 or so). Any feedback on this decision would be welcomed. To
> erase EPROMs, would a blacklight be effective or do I need an eraser
> specifically designed for the task? I've never erased an EPROM before. Does
> it need to be given voltage during the erasure? Again, feedback sought.
I use thew pocket programmer, and I think it's got quirks.  I would
urge myself to look at a better unit if I were to do it again.  That's
just my opinion, and some folks here are happy with their Intronics
boxes.  I don't remember paying $130 for mine though.  As to the
eraser, you need a specific frequency UV light for the job.  Look in
the archives for the subject line "Blankety blank" for more info, if
you're curious.  The eprom does not get powered up during erasure,
it's just exposed to the lamp until it's erased.  Well, at least until
the burner reports that it's erased.
Shannen