Successful 165 read and dump - mode 4, programmer, and eraser questions

Craig Moates craig.moates at mindspring.com
Sun Oct 24 17:19:50 GMT 1999

Folks,

Thanks to many of you, I've been very successful in assembling the hardware
(MAX232) and writing the software (QuickBasic) to read all the 8192 ALDL
data from my 1987 305 TPI '165 (EPROM ACXS) system. I'm very happy with the
results so far, which include 4 pages of updating (up to 0.1s inverval)
information and datalogging of 40+ minutes on a floppy (20 or so critical
values @ 0.1s, PKZipped). Using the 'Mode 2' memory dump, I've collected a
'bin' file from the car I'm working on, which I've uploaded to 'incoming'
with a good descriptive filename. I hope someone finds it useful. I'd be
interested in feedback on any defects or problems with the file.

The EPROM code was dumped from C000 to FFFF. What is contained in the memory
from 0000 to BFFF? Also, has anyone had productive experiences using the
'Mode 4' to change values in memory? I mean, can you change a spark table
that's contained in the EPROM on-the-fly, and what, does it change back on
powerdown? How does it work? Since it appears that it will work with my ECM,
this could potentially be a powerful tuning tool if I understood it better.

For reprogramming EPROMs, I'm also considering the Intronics Pocket
Programmer ($130 or so). Any feedback on this decision would be welcomed. To
erase EPROMs, would a blacklight be effective or do I need an eraser
specifically designed for the task? I've never erased an EPROM before. Does
it need to be given voltage during the erasure? Again, feedback sought.

Many thanks,
-Craig Moates