ford ecu

David Cooley n5xmt at bellsouth.net
Mon Oct 25 14:34:57 GMT 1999

At 09:34 AM 10/25/1999 -0700, you wrote:
>OK GMECM sounds to me like Brian, with the thunderbird, may merely need
>to know how to reset the ecm in his car, how is the eec-iv reset?
>
>Do you merely disconnect the battery for 5 or 10 minutes, then reconnect
>it and let it learn from its true masta how it should behave? or, for
>example, turn the ignition on and off three times which tells the ecm to
>reset itself to default and let it learn how it should behave from its
>true owner, not some limp ankled 'shady' 'mechanic'...??

Disconnect power and relearn on Fords.  Older EEC-IV's had a specific train
of events you had to follow to get it to relearn properly (IE start and
Immediately put it in D for 5 minutes, then in P for 5 min, then drive for
a minimum of 15 miles at varying speeds).  Need to check the manual and see
if there is a specific relearn for it or not... The EEC-V doesn't have a
specific procedure.

>Just a thought?
>
>If noone here knows, and even if they do, I back grumpys recommendation
>to try and find and verify what to do with the eec-iv list guru's as
>well!!
>
>ALSO, just a quick note, there are finite specific conditions which will
>cause a car to ping:
>#1 reason for most cars to ping would be timing,
>#2 is most likely a lean condition,
>#3 is low octane/bad fuel,(You've mentioned you used ONLY 93 octane and
>it still pinged, so that's probably not it)
>#4 Carbon build up within combustion chamber
>
>That about does it in my book as to what can cause a pinging condition!
>
>Anyone have anything to add?

Fords get Crud on the MAF sensing elements.
A good heavy spray of CRC electronic component cleaner brings them back to
life... When crudded up, they sense less than actual airflow causing a lean
condition.  Those of us with Fords and K&N filters find this out rather
quickly as the oil mist from the K&N cruds up the MAF.
David Cooley N5XMT Internet: N5XMT at bellsouth.net
Packet: N5XMT at KQ4LO.#INT.NC.USA.NA T.A.P.R. Member #7068
We are Borg... Prepare to be assimilated!