ford ecu

Todd....!! atc347 at c-com.net
Mon Oct 25 16:34:01 GMT 1999

OK GMECM sounds to me like Brian, with the thunderbird, may merely need
to know how to reset the ecm in his car, how is the eec-iv reset?

Do you merely disconnect the battery for 5 or 10 minutes, then reconnect
it and let it learn from its true masta how it should behave? or, for
example, turn the ignition on and off three times which tells the ecm to
reset itself to default and let it learn how it should behave from its
true owner, not some limp ankled 'shady' 'mechanic'...??

Just a thought?

If noone here knows, and even if they do, I back grumpys recommendation
to try and find and verify what to do with the eec-iv list guru's as
well!!

ALSO, just a quick note, there are finite specific conditions which will
cause a car to ping:
#1 reason for most cars to ping would be timing,
#2 is most likely a lean condition,
#3 is low octane/bad fuel,(You've mentioned you used ONLY 93 octane and
it still pinged, so that's probably not it)
#4 Carbon build up within combustion chamber

That about does it in my book as to what can cause a pinging condition!

Anyone have anything to add?

I'd say that if your car pings, and you don't have carbon buildup you
must realize that because the ecm controls timing & air/fuel ratio,
therefore, if your car pings then it's either the ecm runnin too much
timing(i.e. - too advanced) or the ecm is leaning out the air/fuel too
much.  Did your mechanic check the o2 sensor?  maybe it's not sending
the correct signal due to it being defective?

I thought that when the O2 sensor goes out, the engine runs in limp
mose(i.e. over rich condition, not sure how the eec-iv runs in limp
mode, SURELY it doesn't go into a lean mode when the O2 sensor goes
out???)

Just a laymans' perspective...

Over n out good buddies!!,

Todd....!!