TPI MAP, Fans, Questions

Daniel Ciobota dciobota at hiwaay.net
Tue Oct 26 14:03:52 GMT 1999

Bob,

 I have an 89 vette, and oddly enough, I think i can answer your questions...
my 165 is an ARAR, btw.

Bob Valentine wrote:

> Things are going well with my TPI -> Olds 403 setup.   Ford injectors are
> in place, I'm modifying a TPI FP reg. to fit my setup, and have finally
> doped out the  harness I have - supposedly 89, but see below for why I
> think it's 88.   I've faked out the ECM for emissions solenoids (thanks for
> the info guys).  But a few more questions:
>
> 1.  MAP sensor - it looks like the TPI doesn't use a MAP sensor.  Am I
> correct?  This is a MAF system (165 / ABYA).   There's no connector on the
> harness, and nothing about it on the schematic I have. Am I looking too
> hard? ;^>

mine doesn't, I suspect yours doesn't either.

> 2.  "EGR Vacuum Sensor Signal".  What is this, can I just leave it
> disconnected?

I disconnected mine when I blocked off the egr tube coming from the header with
no ill results.  If you want to have a working egr though, you might want to
connect it, as it senses when there is vacuum present at the egr tube instead
of positive pressure.  the sensor mounts on the egr tube, btw.

> 3.  Can I just leave the park/neutral input (B10) open so the ECM thinks
> it's permanantly in gear, or does this need to be a real input?

I think that input is used for starter enable.  The starter wouldn't get power
I don't think.  You can reroute the wiring I think, but it's not too wise to be
able to start the car in reverse or drive.

> 4.  Will the ECM care if the cooling fans are not hooked up?   I'm staying
> with the stock clutch fan for now... one less thing to deal with.    Just
> dummy up the fan relay with another resistor?

it makes no difference, you don't even need a resistor in line, mine kicked no
codes when I had the relay disconnected.  Just tape them up and out of the way.

> BTW, I was temporarily stumped as to why my harness didn't have a wire on
> pin B6 for the VATS input.   A quick search thru the DIY_EFI archives and
> the F-body list reminded me that 88 doesn't use VATS.  My cal is 1988 ABYA.
>   Of course, this was AFTER I built a VATS eliminator (thanks to Mike R.).
> At least now I'll be ready when I want to burn a later prom.....

I believe the 88 vettes used vats, are you sure the calpack is from an f body?

Daniel