When asking ecm questions

DC Smith morepoweral at tetranet.net
Tue Oct 26 23:34:11 GMT 1999

The FWD Buick crank bolt pattern diameter is shown in the Buick Power
Source book. They show using several FWD parts to build a custom V-6.
The FWD crank is said to be unsuitable for Heavy duty usage due to the
smaller diameter of the bolt patern where the flex plate bolts up. The
internals are the same.
 Another wives tale is that the grand national motor parts are
"special". The only thing special about most of them is that they
actually came on a turbo car. The heads, block and (4.1L)crank/rods used
in a 87 Grand National, can be had from N/A regals of the 86/7 era. The
Pistons and the cam are different and the rolled fillet crank/rods can
be had from a N/A 4.1 Litre of ~1983 vintage. The only thing I would
need to buy new to build a TR motor would be forged pistons/cam.
 The motor I rebuilt recently that had rods I felt belonged in a briggs
motor, was a ford 88 FWD 3.0. Surprisingly, this 3.0 is considered a
better engine than the 3.8 ford, for some reason. Reliability, I assume.
Dunno, I don't deal with enough of them.

Take care, all.

Dave Williams wrote:

> -> The FWD crank journals are very small, and the rods aren't exactly
> -> meaty.  at least the GEN I 3.8L V6.  Gen II might be different with
> -> all the supercharging stuff.
>
>  The flywheel flange is different between the FWD and RWD.  The cranks
> are otherwise the same.  The rods are the same.

Dan Smith      84 Regal   11.841 at 115.09     GSCA# 1459
St.Charles, Missouri
mailto:morepoweral at tetranet.net
http://www.tetranet.net/users/morepoweral