Correct mapping for Camshafts

Programmer nwester at eidnet.org
Wed Oct 27 01:22:52 GMT 1999

Hi guys,

Got a guy I'm trying to help out at a neighboring shop. He's got a customer with an
AWLB Prom (90 GM 5.7L C15 Truck) and the wrong camshaft.

Right now, the guy has put a Comp Cams 280H (.480 Int/exh and 280 degrees duration) in his bone stock truck engine, has only 14" vacuum at idle (needless to say his truck is really overfueling). Runs like crap till around 3000 RPM because of the overfueling. Only other modification on the truck is headers and a dual exhaust.

What's the plan of attack to correct this, based on differing parameters in the PROM ? I realise this is a 16146299 ECM, and I'm working on an *.ecu for this one right now...but ideas from a 7747 would really help.

Thanks--I'd appreciate straight answers and not things like "he chose the wrong camshaft" <g>. I'll at least admit I'm not sure how to reduce fuel vs. MAP.

Lyndon.