FW: New member with lots of questions... (fwd)

T. Barcia tbarcia at home.com
Wed Oct 27 01:25:33 GMT 1999

Hello all.  I'm a new member of this list and decided to subscribe after
reading some of the archives and coming up with many questions.  As an
introduction, I'm a Network Administrator for a large aerospace company
and one of my hobbies involves swapping a 1995 3.4L v6 from a Camaro
including all of the FI goodies into a 1984 GMC Jimmy 4x4.  I'm a tinkerer
by nature and love to get my hands on things that I know nothing about.
That's basically why I'm here.  I admit to knowing very little about fuel
injection systems besides the very basics and knowing nothing of the inner
workings of the ECM.  Given the proper ECM and wiring harness I was able
to make the 3.4 work in a non-computer equipped truck and consider that
one of my best acomplishments with the truck.

In performing the swap, I managed to overlook several things and still
managed to get the whole thing to work.  I do not have the ALDL nor do I
have the budget to purchase the OBD-II scanner to read the ECM if I had
the connector.  I found this site after finding Dave's LT1 scanner on the
web which leads me to one of my biggest questions:  will Dave's scanner
work on my 3.4L v6??  If there's any information that you need to answer
this question, please let me know.

Regarding the VSS, since the truck uses a mechanical speedo, I will need
some way to send the VSS signal to the ECM.  The truck runs excellent at
this point without VSS but after reading the archive, it looks as tho I
can get much better mileage with the VSS hooked up.  I know that my truck
has cruise control (which doesn't work anyway) so I'm wondering if I can
use the speed sensor for the cruise control that's built in to the
speedometer to send the 4000 pulses/mile signal that the ECM is looking
for??  If so, is that 4000 gnd pulses or 4000 +12v pulses or some other
signal that I should be trying to send??  Also, other than mileage, what
other affects would there be from running without the VSS??

Prior to removing the stock 2.8, I had installed Edelbrock headers which I
am now using on the 3.4L.  The ECM is looking for 2 o2 sensor inputs and
the headers are only plumbed for one.  Since there is continuity between
the two sensor wires both key on and key off, I am only running one and I
do not have the MIL illuminated at all times.  Also, the headers are not
plumbed for EGR so I am planning on finding the passenger exhaust manifold
from the Camaro and grafting the EGR port to the headers on the passenger
side as well as an 02 sensor bung on the driver's side.  As I said
previously, I do not have a constant nor a flashing MIL indicator so I am
wondering what the consequences of running without EGR and the second o2
sensor may be??

The ECM was from a manual transmission Camaro and the truck has the 84
700r4 which seems to be a good match, but I was hoping to be able to use
the ECM to control the TCL once the VSS and other issues are resolved.  Is
this possible and if so, what would be involved in doing this??  I know
the wiring is there in the engine wiring harness and I can make the
electrical connections, but certainly it won't be that easy since the ECM
is setup for a manual transmission.

Also, I am interested in finding out more about reprogramming the ECM and
was wondering if that would require burning a prom or can the ECM be
flashed with new code??  Whatever the answer, if you know where I can find
the equipment to do this, it would help a lot.  Also, where would be a
good place to start learning about the inner workings of the ECM??  I have
some programming background (VB and Access mainly) so the concepts are not
completely foreign to me.

Any and all help with this is greatly apreciated.

Tom Barcia
tbarcia at emanon.net
www.emanon.net/~tbarcia

--UAA03368.940996655/gonzo.wolfenet.com--