New member with lots of questions... (fwd)

Mike Rolica mrolica at meridian-mag.com
Wed Oct 27 10:58:56 GMT 1999

Mike Rolica
EXT. 260
 :-)

	-----Original Message-----
	From:	T. Barcia [SMTP:tbarcia at home.com]
	Sent:	Tuesday, October 26, 1999 9:26 PM
	To:	gmecm at efi332.eng.ohio-state.edu
	Subject:	FW: New member with lots of questions... (fwd)

	Hello all.  I'm a new member of this list and decided to subscribe
after
	reading some of the archives and coming up with many questions.  As
an
	introduction, I'm a Network Administrator for a large aerospace
company
	and one of my hobbies involves swapping a 1995 3.4L v6 from a Camaro
	including all of the FI goodies into a 1984 GMC Jimmy 4x4.  I'm a
tinkerer
	by nature and love to get my hands on things that I know nothing
about.
	That's basically why I'm here.  I admit to knowing very little about
fuel
	injection systems besides the very basics and knowing nothing of the
inner
	workings of the ECM.  Given the proper ECM and wiring harness I was
able
	to make the 3.4 work in a non-computer equipped truck and consider
that
	one of my best acomplishments with the truck.

	In performing the swap, I managed to overlook several things and
still
	managed to get the whole thing to work.  I do not have the ALDL nor
do I
	have the budget to purchase the OBD-II scanner to read the ECM if I
had
	the connector.  I found this site after finding Dave's LT1 scanner
on the
	web which leads me to one of my biggest questions:  will Dave's
scanner
	work on my 3.4L v6??  If there's any information that you need to
answer
	this question, please let me know.

	Regarding the VSS, since the truck uses a mechanical speedo, I will
need
	some way to send the VSS signal to the ECM.  The truck runs
excellent at
	this point without VSS but after reading the archive, it looks as
tho I
	can get much better mileage with the VSS hooked up.  I know that my
truck
	has cruise control (which doesn't work anyway) so I'm wondering if I
can
	use the speed sensor for the cruise control that's built in to the
	speedometer to send the 4000 pulses/mile signal that the ECM is
looking
	for??  If so, is that 4000 gnd pulses or 4000 +12v pulses or some
other
	signal that I should be trying to send??

	 Drive ecm with open collector
	 Also, other than mileage, what
	other affects would there be from running without the VSS??

	IAC will not reset
	Prior to removing the stock 2.8, I had installed Edelbrock headers
which I
	am now using on the 3.4L.  The ECM is looking for 2 o2 sensor inputs
and
	the headers are only plumbed for one.  Since there is continuity
between
	the two sensor wires both key on and key off, I am only running one
and I
	do not have the MIL illuminated at all times.  Also, the headers are
not
	plumbed for EGR so I am planning on finding the passenger exhaust
manifold
	from the Camaro and grafting the EGR port to the headers on the
passenger
	side as well as an 02 sensor bung on the driver's side.  As I said
	previously, I do not have a constant nor a flashing MIL indicator so
I am
	wondering what the consequences of running without EGR and the
second o2
	sensor may be??

	The ECM was from a manual transmission Camaro and the truck has the
84
	700r4 which seems to be a good match, but I was hoping to be able to
use
	the ECM to control the TCL once the VSS and other issues are
resolved.  Is
	this possible and if so, what would be involved in doing this??
	Yep but you need to change prom to auto.  Fairly cheap for stock one
from gm
	Or find someone with a auto bin and getum to burn you a chip :-)
	 I know
	the wiring is there in the engine wiring harness and I can make the
	electrical connections, but certainly it won't be that easy since
the ECM
	is setup for a manual transmission.
	Not ecm, just prom  ecm used on both
	Also, I am interested in finding out more about reprogramming the
ECM and
	was wondering if that would require burning a prom or can the ECM be
	flashed with new code??
	Doh scratch that last idea, I think your ecm is pcm and flash
	  Whatever the answer, if you know where I can find
	the equipment to do this, it would help a lot.  Also, where would be
	good place to start learning about the inner workings of the ECM??
I have
	some programming background (VB and Access mainly) so the concepts
are not
	completely foreign to me.
	Any and all help with this is greatly apreciated.
	Ready to do some reading? :-)
	http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Shop/9938/index.html
<http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Shop/9938/index.html>
	http://www.cruzers.com/~ludis/ <http://www.cruzers.com/~ludis/>
	http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~davis/gm-eproms/
<http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~davis/gm-eproms/>
	http://efi332.eng.ohio-state.edu/diy_efi/oem/gm/prog_101.html

	Read these over more that once mabe 3 times you will get it if you
have the drive :-)

	--UAA03368.940996655/gonzo.wolfenet.com--