Low temp thermostat

Robert W. Hughes rwhughe at ev1.net
Thu Oct 28 15:17:09 GMT 1999

> More fuel for the low temp 'stat issue:  most Mercrusier thermostats are
> 140 degree - and my temp guage usually shows something close to that, mabye
> 150 degrees since there's a unlimited supply of 55 degree cooling water.

Marine applications use low temperatures to reduce deposits in the
engine cooling system. Many salts (carbonates for instance) found in
water come out of solution as the temperature is raised so lower temp =
less crud in the cooling system. I knew a guy once who had a boat with
two 409s and 120 degree thermostats. Had to rebuild the engines almost
every year.

--
Robert W. Hughes (Bob)
BackYard Engineering