Low temp thermostat-Mercury Marine

Espen Hilde mwichstr at online.no
Thu Oct 28 20:37:10 GMT 1999

Hi all!
I read an article about Mercury wanted to to take a big leap into high tec,
in the 80s I think . They put in a huge amount of money and started to
develop the ultimate offshore engine , twin turbo.....the trick about it
was
that they used separate cooling for block and head. They used o rings
for top head gaskets. The head could run at a lower temp than block to
lower knock tendencies.
The offshore engines was good but no succsess in the offshore races because
of "drive train problems".

Engine temp is just one of the variables to play with ...how is it possible
to find the right relationship between  compression ratio, swirl, ignition
advance,
fuel amount ,air inlet temp, coolant temp.
Maybe the best is hot engine at low output , cold at max torque, and hot
again at high rpm.......
Variable heat is like variable compression?
Maybe a engine that likes to run wery hot would be better off with higher
compression?
Thinking loud again......
Espen Hilde