mystery motor

John_Calabrese at ENGELHARD.COM John_Calabrese at ENGELHARD.COM
Fri Oct 29 19:08:47 GMT 1999

Everyone,
I would like to ask a trivia question - Attached is a couple of pictures of a
motor I have but don't know what it is. I have narrowed it down to either a olds
or pontiac motor. I realize this doesn't have much to do with EFI, but the motor
has a vintage Lucas mechanicla Fuel injection system on it. The motor might be
some kind of protoype, but it was definately built in the mid sixties.

There are no stampings on the motor, except for each individual cylinder number
stamped above the spark plug hole on the head and on the flange of the
corresponding header flange.  The spark plug threads are smaller than the
standard, small plug, using a 5/8-inch socket to remove them.  They look like
motorcycle size plugs.  The champion part # on them is G-501, for
cross-referencing.

I do not know whether the motor is an Indy motor, formula, Can am, Buick,
Pontiac, Oldsmobile, etc.  There are external water passages on either side
(intake and exhaust) of the heads, and there are oil drainback tubes located on
the rear of the head draining to the block.  The block looks like a one-off
casting, as there is no lifter valley bores and the valley itself is cast
closed, hence no oil drainback slots normally associated with a V-8 of this
style.  The intake uses slider valves, and the exhaust ports incorporate a step
flange that can