Odp: Serial data hardware solution

Marek Skrzypiec elemark at priv4.onet.pl
Sat Oct 30 15:40:15 GMT 1999

Hi Ross
There are many solutions for doing  that interface , but there is only one
question :
What do you require  the amplitude on diagnostic connector - 5 V(TTL) or 12V
?
If 5V - link together Rx and TX - but it isn't the good solution , because
when you send something , automatically  you receive your message which you
send .Yuo can solve a difficulty by adding transitor (working as KEY ) and
pull up resistor to RX .The TRANSISTOR BASE is controlled by microcontroller
.
if 12V - there is only one difference : contverter TTL<->12V . to convert
TTL-> 12V use CD 40109, to convert 12V->TTL CD4050 and the rest is as above
.
Marek