RX7 Questions

Rick Kean rakean at acpglobal.com
Tue Sep 7 17:05:19 GMT 1999

Hey Mike and David

I worked for CCR/MalibuGrandPrix with the ex-Jim Downing IMSA GTU RX7 team
that Jack Baldwin drove to the Championship in '84.  Prior to acquiring the
rig from Jim, Clayton Cunningham had already replaced whatever Mazda Pickup
variant Jim was trying to keep under it with a Ford 9".  That cured ALL
rearend problems on a real light 305hp rotary endurance racer.  Admittedly,
the race rubber was real big and sticky...

So, keep the stock rearend/tire setup with whatever you want under the hood;
no traction = no rear end failures.  Put a lot of power through it with good
tires under it and expect to get to replace the rearend; now or later.