Vats bypassed!!

Mike Rolica mrolica at meridian-mag.com
Thu Sep 9 12:37:54 GMT 1999

  Thanks to Bruce W, Mike V and Kelly? I've managed to bypass the vats on my
truck  (165 ecm on 5.7 TPI).  I constructed an astable multivibrator from a
555 timer and some resistors.  Last night I finally got it to work.  My
problem.......I had the signal from the vibrator going to pin B4 on the ECM
rather than the pin B6,  the one it was supposed to go too.   8- at .  I used
the pin C12 (TPS 5v ref) as the supply to the unit.  What I've found is the
ECM really wants 2.5v as measured by an expensive fluke multimeter.  (note:
It also says that it should be 2.5v in the OEM service manual)  you get this
when you have a 5v input into the vibrator.  It would not start @ 2.65v.
Right now  I have to turn on the lights, heater blower and wait until the
battery voltage drops to 11v and then it starts fine.  My fiancée does not
like this too much ;-).
I might try and use a adj. voltage regulator to supply the unit from 12v or
just a 5v regulator from radio shack..what do you think??
Mike  Rolica
Meridian Magnesium Products
Strathroy, Ontario
(519)-245-4040 Ext: 260