Transmission Configuration

Roger Heflin rah at horizon.hit.net
Thu Sep 9 18:43:10 GMT 1999

On Thu, 9 Sep 1999, Bruce Wilcox (EUS) wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I have been poking around in the 87-89 165 BINs to find out if there is a reliable way to identify if a BIN was developed for a manual or automatic transmission.
>
> So far I have not had much luck. I am looking at the air flow mode words, shift light control (manual), and TCC lockup. Am I looking in the wrong place?? If so, What alternative search methods are recommended??
>
> Thanks and Best Regards,
>
> Bruce Wilcox

I would guess they use almost the same bin with just a bit set
someplace telling it that it has one tranny over another.   I have not
been able to confirm this on my 93 LT1 as I don't have a manual tranny
bin to look at, but what it looks like everything is there to run
either.   In mine the bin knows what gear the car is in, do the
earlier <93 computers know what gear the tranny is in?

If they don't I am assuming that it is so the bin I have can run a
CAGS (skip shift 1-4 shift) on a manual.  I guess I need to look at
the code more and see if there appears to be code to implement this if
the right bit is set.

				Roger