Transmission Configuration

Shannen Durphey shannen at grolen.com
Fri Sep 10 01:42:44 GMT 1999

Roger Heflin wrote:

> I would guess they use almost the same bin with just a bit set
> someplace telling it that it has one tranny over another.   I have not
> been able to confirm this on my 93 LT1 as I don't have a manual tranny
> bin to look at, but what it looks like everything is there to run
> either.   In mine the bin knows what gear the car is in, do the
> earlier <93 computers know what gear the tranny is in?
>
> If they don't I am assuming that it is so the bin I have can run a
> CAGS (skip shift 1-4 shift) on a manual.  I guess I need to look at
> the code more and see if there appears to be code to implement this if
> the right bit is set.
>
>                                 Roger
I found a neat one.  1990 m/y Vette w/ 6spd trans comes equipped with
APYP calibration.  That's an auto trans calibration.  I thought it was
a fluke until I found another the same way.  Then again, if you go
look up a 1990 Vette w/6spd calibration by application there's none
found.  Maybe GM didn't have time to certify a manual trans
calibration?

As far as knowing what gear the car's in, the 4L60E has trans gear
range switches.  The 4L60 usually has 4th gear sw only, and manual
trans cars have no gear select switches.  I think these use
load/rpm/map lookup tables for shift lite operation.
Shannen