Transmission Configuration

Roger Heflin rah at horizon.hit.net
Fri Sep 10 03:15:21 GMT 1999

On Thu, 9 Sep 1999, Shannen Durphey wrote:

> Roger Heflin wrote:
> >

> I found a neat one.  1990 m/y Vette w/ 6spd trans comes equipped with
> APYP calibration.  That's an auto trans calibration.  I thought it was
> a fluke until I found another the same way.  Then again, if you go
> look up a 1990 Vette w/6spd calibration by application there's none
> found.  Maybe GM didn't have time to certify a manual trans
> calibration?
>
> As far as knowing what gear the car's in, the 4L60E has trans gear
> range switches.  The 4L60 usually has 4th gear sw only, and manual
> trans cars have no gear select switches.  I think these use
> load/rpm/map lookup tables for shift lite operation.
> Shannen

Mine is a 4L60 and the computer has stuff in the data stream that
shows what gear the tranny is in and it does actually work.  I have
verifyed the data stream has the correct gear settings in it.  Some of
the TCC lockup stuff changes on a downshift and they were using the
switches to determine that.

On the manuals I would assume that they also have 1-4 switches so the
know what gear the car is in and can activate the cags solinoid and
force the driver to shift from 1st to fourth under certain conditions.

				Roger