project update (MAF)

Dave Zug dzug at delanet.com
Fri Sep 24 05:00:01 GMT 1999

Please DO put up John thanks!

I gotta wonder about that MAF restriction.. I have 1989 MAF 5.7l one day I
was driving long distange and all of a sudden I had what felt like 20% more
low end power! when I got to my destination I opened the hood to find the
clamp that I had between the filter cone (not a KnN) and the MAF had popped
off letting the MAF have unfiltered but unrestricted air (maybe it was
getting inaccurate readings and leaning out what I may have set up
over-rich... too many variables) but anyway I FELT that intake restriction
is what I don't want. Sure 750 cfm is the limit of the "altered" MAF but
mechanical engineering tells me that if there were a 5" tube there in its
place then the total system restriction is less! understanding that the MAF
is about the least restrictive part of the system doesn't mean you cannot
improve breathing by making it larger! am I way out here??

Oh.. before I get corrected.. I realize that the clamp falling off in that
location didnt make the MAF less restrictive.. my point is that it made the
total system less restrictive and by association I am saying it applies to
losing any restriction. My final final thought is that I can see the light
leading to MAP.