Timing Retard w/o knock & MAF oscillations

David Cooley n5xmt at bellsouth.net
Fri Sep 24 14:57:42 GMT 1999

At 10:45 AM 9/24/1999 -0400, you wrote:
>In trying to understand some Diacom data. I'm seeing "knock retard" being
>introduced, but No "spark control counts" being sensed..  Will the ECM
>retard the timing when the table jumps from LV8 column to LV8 column and
>the requested advance decreases in this column jump?
>
>(IE, if the EPROM table has spark advance for 3600 rpm at LV8=176 set to
>         22 deg and the LV8 goes above 192 and into the next column of
>         the spark advance table where 3600rpm has a 20 deg advance request,
>         will the ECM apply retard of 2 deg to get there?

Nope... Would just show as a different value in the timing advance data...
retard is when it pulls timing due to knock and it's modifying whatever
value is in the timing table.

>(BTW, while I'm sending this email, I'll ask...  Would anyone know why my
>  air flow thru my MAF would oscilliate at high load/flow?  I have a PDF
>  graph of what I mean at:
>                 http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~davis/z28/ecm_swap/165chart.pdf

It appears it may be due to being sampled during an intake valve opening,
or between openings...  The air flow will pulse.
David Cooley N5XMT Internet: N5XMT at bellsouth.net
Packet: N5XMT at KQ4LO.#INT.NC.USA.NA T.A.P.R. Member #7068
We are Borg... Prepare to be assimilated!