Operating temps

Aaron Willis darkmonahue at awwwsome.com
Fri Sep 24 22:48:07 GMT 1999

At 01:32 PM 9/24/99 -0700, you wrote:
>I've tried a couple thermostats on my truck...
>160/180/195.  The only difference I found was that the
>warmup time longer with the cooler thermostats.
>Normal loaded temp was always 210 when the temp is
>over 50 Degrees (F).  Below that, the temp never went
>higher than the thermostat.
>
>Also, my temp was measured in the intake's water
>passage by the thermostat housing.
>
>sQuAsH
>

>> 	Bruce,
>> 	Only testing I've done is run the same car, same
>> timing, same gas, same
>> jetting (I know this is an EFI list) at same ambient
>> temp with different
>> value thermostats.
>> 	Observations are a DRASTIC change in *audible*
>> pinging under same driving
>> conditions with each change in thermostat temp.
>> 	This is a thousand-dollar driver, not worthy of
>> serious R&D or any dyno
>> time.  I do understand that any EFI system would
>> incorporate other factors
>> not considered here, but I take my findings into
>> account when tuning this
>> car..
>> 	Gotta word things extra-carefully after the 180*
>> crank fiasco a while back...

	My temp is measured right under the thermostat, and the car typically runs
right at the thermostat opening temperature, regardless of ambient temp.
	Gauge accuracy has been confirmed with a seperate thermometer.
	Engine is an aluminum-head Hemi style four.
	And I'm outta here...not wanting any argument, just offering my
observations for what it's worth.

	Aaron Willis
	Garage TE51 International  http://surf.to/garage-te51
	ICQ # 27386985