Operating temps

Andrew K. Mattei amattei at mindspring.com
Sat Sep 25 01:05:27 GMT 1999

Now, may I interject something else in to the works?

I have a '94 LT1 (remember, reverse cooled - heads first, then block) with a
160 degree thermostat. Both the computer and my gauge (two different
sensors) show that normal cruising on a normal day (air temps between 60
degrees F and 100 degrees F) is around 174 degrees coolant temperature. When
I was running a 180 degree thermostat (as stock), I'd cruise at about 185
degrees.

Of course, fans kick on at 225 dF, off at 210 (IIRC).

So, my question here would be, isn't the purpose of running the lower temp
stat so that you can run a more aggressive timing curve and maximize power
that way? (minimizing detonation) Ten degrees probably doesn't buy a whole
lot of timing, though...

Another thought... I noticed earlier that someone mentioned keeping the
intake manifold cool, and running a warmer thermostat. Interesting...
There's a mod called the "throttle body coolant bypass" that essentially
keeps the coolant from warming the TB - and keeps the intake (and incoming
air charge) cool. (Reason it's warmed in the first place is in an attempt to
prevent icing of the throttle body under freezing temperatures.)

Hmm, LS1 motor went back to conventional cooling. They also have a composite
manifold that stays very cool. And they score very well on the power meter.
Hmm...

Just some rambling...

~Andrew