Operating temps

Tom Sharpe twsharpe at mtco.com
Sat Sep 25 03:56:16 GMT 1999

I just had to toss in another comment. I have trouble getting my 406 SBC to warm
up! 10w30 Vavoline sits at 140-150 on a hot day cruising down the expressway
with the water at 179 (180 T). At idle in traffic the water will get to 195 with
no fans (or air cond.) - oil still sits at 140. Of course the psitons and heads
are ceramic coated and the oil pump was coated with a no-friction stuff.  See
TechLine Coatings and believe everything you read (there). 72 CC Brodix heads,
+.005 deck (out of the block), 10.6+ compression and no detonation on 93
no-lead. I could try a 195 thermostat but I couldn't get a good enough
measurement of the change.   Maybe next summer after I get my Christmas present
(G-meter).  Tom