Operating temps

Ward wspoonemore at excite.com
Sun Sep 26 04:25:42 GMT 1999

On Fri, 24 Sep 1999 21:06:48 -0400, Shannen Durphey wrote:

> Aaron Willis wrote:
> >

> > >Also, my temp was measured in the intake's water
> > >passage by the thermostat housing.
> > >
> > >sQuAsH

> >         My temp is measured right under the thermostat, and the car
typically runs
> > right at the thermostat opening temperature, regardless of ambient
temp.
> >         Gauge accuracy has been confirmed with a seperate thermometer.
> >         Engine is an aluminum-head Hemi style four.
> >         And I'm outta here...not wanting any argument, just offering my
> > observations for what it's worth.
> >

> >         Aaron Willis
> Observations are good, and welcome.  There are too few honest ones
> around.
>
> Anyone who spends time learning about cars realizes that observations
> are just that, and they can lead to more questions than answers.  So
> with that said I want to ask about your notion of engine temperature.
> If you measure the water temp at the thermostat, it stands to reason
> that the thermostat temp and the water temp will agree, as long as
> engine load stays within a moderate range.  But what if you could
> measure temp in different areas in the heads, at the intake and
> exhaust valves?  Under the valve springs?  Near the exhaust ports?  At
> the manifold where the lh and rh heads exhaust coolant into the
> manifold (in a V engine : ))?  How about front to rear of block and
> head?  Top to bottom?
>
> You can probably make some educated guesses about the general results
> for your engine.  That's what the temp gauge is doing.  But when
> you're looking at the localized average temp around the gauge sender,
> how often do you consider these other factors?  Just because you keep
> the coolant in the engine for a little less time doesn't mean you've
> reduced the hot spots or cured the steam traps that occur in cast
> parts.
>
> For average guys, hunting these problems down is a matter of
> time/money/need.  We have 3 or 4 different temp thermostats (I think
> some marine stuff runs at 140d F) available, and we run the one that
> seems to work best.  If dropping to a cooler thermostat cures pinging,
> and we're happy with the time/power level it produces, we stick with
> it.  Very few people continue to question themselves after they've
> cured the problem.
>
> Does dropping the temp in your engine reduce detonation?  I'm sure it
> does.  Can running the engine colder help prevent detonation?
> Certainly.  Is that the only way?
>
> Shannen

Water injection also stops pinging, and there is slight powrer gain, this
recovers power that would have been lost by disorderly combustion, but
nothing works beter than setting the spark advance correctly. Fixing the
problem is the best solution. Else you may be fixing a leaky fountan pen
with a pair of rubber gloves.

Ward