Quad-4 (1228707 ECM) Rough Idle Problem

mike mager mikemager at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 7 05:33:56 GMT 2000

Uh, did anybody else catch that (or do I need better drugs?)?
[complete quotation below]

[this is quoted from the FTP site:]
<ftp://ftp.diy-efi.org/incoming/Quad-4%20Idle%20Miss.pdf>

>"Very high overlap cams will exhibit an "eight stroking" phenomena . . . "

Sure, well known, and a two-stroke-cycle may analogously 'four-stroke'.

>" . . . pumping out a cylinder full of unburned gas . . . "

Alright, lotsa unburned fuel (HC), sure
               - but -
lotsa unburned _air_(!). (at ~20% O2!)

>"The over-rich exhaust will not contain enough oxygen for the catalytic
>converter . . . "

Here it is - What?
The unburned air is ~20% oxygen, radically more than _any_ combustion event
could _ever_ put out!  The EGO reads the oxygen (O) in the exhaust (E) gas
(G), not the HC.

<brag>
Ima ASE certified drivability mechanic, and . . .
</brag>

It is common for a plain-old Motor City rig to have the EGO read a dead miss
as a too-lean condition, just _because_ of that ~20% O2 in the unburned air
after a misfire.

What are they getting at?  (or what did I miss?)

Mike (an IR intake helps to 'tame' high overlap)