manifold machining

mike mager mikemager at hotmail.com
Sun Apr 9 06:09:16 GMT 2000

Peter Gargano is planning an AlfaSud EFI conversion:
(complete quotation below)

>. . . because then I can add a fancy manifold, perhaps going through a few
>iterations . . .

<Beavis_And_Butthead>Fancy manifolds are cool!</Beavis_And_Butthead>

>My only concern was that, as injector is close to the inlet valve, and in
>the head itself, that the O-ring or injector may get too hot in this
>position (it's a cross flow head - exhaust manifold is on other side from
>injector).

(Is the AlfaSud 1500 liquid cooled?)
I'd be happy to use a high-temperature O-ring right outta the catalog;  they
are used in Diesel engines, and in certain spots in certain automatic
transmissions, and mebbe Jeep 2.5 injectors;  check Diesel repair shops and
bearing supply houses, if you can't find a catalog anywhere else.

Hot injectors, I'll just leave to the appropriate experts (but they do try
to hold up as the factory installs them).

>Any thought about machining directly into the head? (I checked clearances,
>even sawed an old head in half to check that there's enough metal below,
>nowhere near the coolant!)

Thoughts? - Always!  (Well, I _claim_ that I'ma thinking . . . )

First, _every_ head is machined, iron, aluminum/magnesium, other(?), so it
can definitely be cut!  You seem confident, and the plan seems reasonable,
but none of us have seen it.

You've got at least one development/practice head, right?  Spot-face with a
larger endmill as a first step before the bores;  drillbits are generally
inferior to endmills for the bores, BTW (use a center drill first, if you do
drill);  if the bore size is odd, you can get a tool-sharpening shop to
resize a generic endmill to just the right size  (right, and be sure to
_know_ just the right size!).

IMHO, as they say:
Oh, yeah, don't even think about trying your first one on a drill press -
save that for later;  no doubt somebody has done it with a hand drill!

You've heard it before:  (I read a shop book, once)
"Measure twice, cut once"
"clamp your workpiece securely"
"don't force it, let the tool do the work"

Sounds like a fun project!

Mike (_Bad_ carburettor!)