ECM Availability

Frank F Parker fparker at umich.edu
Wed Aug 23 01:15:41 GMT 2000

> >    A number of Circle Track / RR cars have redundant MSD box /coil combos
> >    on a rotary switch for on the "Fly " backup. I'd have redundant electronics
> >   if I were Buzz'n round upstairs, no shoot about it !
>
> OK, that's what I thot. We use the MSD coil joiners when we "dual" a
> dizzy for XA. I was just wondering if anyone had gone to the
> additional trouble of backing up the FI portion.

In the many TransAm and IMSA cars that I have done in the past 20 years
or so for Ford and GM programs, we usually had a dual ignition setup, as
much for a quick check as any real failures that we had. The MSD boxes
are pretty good but they do fail.

Currently on the GM Corvette C5R we use a dual setup on both the ign and
ecm used for fuel injection. Failures are even less likely here as the
componants are MIL spec from Hughes as opposed to consumer MSD boxes.
(Tho I think they made a new "mil spec-racer" ignition box)
In the TransAm cars the switover was done with a 4PDT switch on the dash,
switching the ignition, tach, and coil wires.  In the C5R, the 2nd ecm
is a spare for quick changeover. ( I guess not easy to make a pitstop
in the air!!!)

regards,

frank parker