Substitutions

David & Cheryl Haggard dave at newcovenant.com
Sun Dec 31 01:30:38 GMT 2000

   Hi, all. I'm new to the list. Hoping to find lots of good info. I'm
a long-time GM wrench, and this sort of programming and EPROM burning
are nothing new. But I'm fairly clueless (I've found out) about the
various programs, and I'm confused.

   I've got an '88 L03, 5-speed manual trans, F-Body with knock
sensor. Program ID code (best I can determine until I copy a binary
from the PROM) is $4D. I've been all over-- TunerCat, etc-- and can't
find an ECM definition file for this program.
   I found a $61 ECU for 89-92 L03 with AUTOMATIC trans. Otherwise it
looks the same to me.
   Are these programs interchangeable? I mean, can I modify the $61 to
ignore its automatic transmission settings, and run with my manual
trans, in my 1228063 ECM?
   I also considered getting a 747, but I notice its program is for
automatic trans, too.
   Do I have to come up with a $4D, or can I substitute another
program as a base to start tuning? My main concern is the transmission
difference (so far).

   Or does anybody out there have a $4D ECM definition?

Dave Haggard