Substitutions

Shannen Durphey Shannen at grolen.com
Sun Dec 31 02:19:56 GMT 2000

David & Cheryl Haggard wrote:

>    Hi, all. I'm new to the list. Hoping to find lots of good info. I'm
> a long-time GM wrench,
Welcome.  You're among a minority here.

and this sort of programming and EPROM burning
> are nothing new.
Shh...  Don't tell GM that you're burning chips.  The libility, you
know...

But I'm fairly clueless (I've found out) about the
> various programs, and I'm confused.
>
>    I've got an '88 L03, 5-speed manual trans, F-Body with knock
> sensor. Program ID code (best I can determine until I copy a binary
> from the PROM) is $4D. I've been all over-- TunerCat, etc-- and can't
> find an ECM definition file for this program.
>    I found a $61 ECU for 89-92 L03 with AUTOMATIC trans. Otherwise it
> looks the same to me.
This file is relatively new.  For a long time the tbi F car guys were
completely forgotten.

>    Are these programs interchangeable? I mean, can I modify the $61 to
> ignore its automatic transmission settings, and run with my manual
> trans, in my 1228063 ECM?
Does the F car have a shift light?  Does it use the same wire to the ecm
as the TCC in an auto car?  How about speed sensor signals?  I believe the
5 speed outputs a different # of pulses per mile than the auto trans.  If
they are corrected outside the trans, it's a non-issue.

>    I also considered getting a 747, but I notice its program is for
> automatic trans, too.
747 goes both ways.  I don't use Tunercat, so I won't say it will work for
either.  GMEPro works with both trans types, and the promedit editor and
associated files are also good for both.

>    Do I have to come up with a $4D, or can I substitute another
> program as a base to start tuning? My main concern is the transmission
> difference (so far).
Better make sure you have the correct mask id before chasing down an
editor.  I dunno about you, but I hate to do unnecessary work.
Shannen

Trivia:
The little guys of CSH made their first appearance 18 years before Chevy's
first smallblock.