Boost

Jay Carter JayC at RebelRednecks.Com
Sat Dec 2 04:37:29 GMT 2000

At 08:23 PM 12/1/2000 -0800, you wrote:
>I am hoping that one of you GN guys can clear up for me what the difference
>is in a Blow off valve & a Waste gate.  the obvious is that the blow off
>valve is on the "clean" air side & the waste gate is on the "exhaust" side.
>my guess is that it has to do with response time issues & volume of air.
>but as the typical waste gas is an active device & comes on more as the
>boost comes up.  i would not think that it would happen all of a sudden &
>something else would have to dump the extra pressure.

A blow off valve is to bleed air from the compressor spike when you slam
the throttle body shut. It's supposed to stop you from damaging your turbo.
However, in talking with people who build turbos and have been in the
industry for a very long time, it's their feelings that the blow off valves
available to people like us don't really serve that purpose because they
react too slow.

A wastegate goes in the exhaust stream before the turbo and is used to
bleed exhaust gas out of the system as to control your boost level. Most
wastegates don't start opening until you get close to the desired level of
maximum boost. If they opened sooner, you would experience lag. Most
external gates that I have tested start opening about 5-6 PSI before max
boost is reached.

Jay

Jay Carter
JayC at RebelRednecks.Com