Part 2: Reading Plugs, pistons, and valves (with Pics)

Bruce Plecan nacelp at bright.net
Sun Dec 3 03:19:47 GMT 2000

In anything on the street indexing really isn't a HP issue, IMO.
I does give ALOT more uniform plug readings.
The side electrode when positioned just right in a SBC can mask the burn
pattern for 1/2 the plug.
Plugs should be in and out often enough that there is no carbon **build up**
on the exposed threads.  Also, if the head sees and anti-seize from time to
time treats the plug enough for it not to stick with AL heads.  I've even
been known to use a little AS on iron headed engines where the plugs are
changed alot

Also, be advised, AS is an insulator, and when used in excess can cause a
miss
Bruce

> The only thing I have to contribute is that I've read that the plug base
> should be exactly flush with the lowest point of the comb chamber entry.
ie