Part 2: Reading Plugs, pistons, and valves (with Pics)

Barry Tisdale btisdale at cybersol.com
Sun Dec 3 18:08:06 GMT 2000

Those aren't all that hard to put together; board cameras are cheap enough
these days, but fiberoptics get a bit pricy, especially coherent (image
forming).  I use intra-oral cameras daily, and fooled around w/ several DIY
jobs also.  Really all you want is a small lens, small enough to pass thru
the sparkplug opening - Edmund Scientific has all kinds.  What kind of
lens, I wouldn't know, but I made a nice semi-macro lens from a microscope
eyepiece; reverse it in front of the camera (remove its lens) - can vary
focus from 1" to infinity.  A 5x eyepiece should be about right.  A 45°
mirror of less than 1/2" would easily pass thru the plug opening.  Couple
of white LEDS to get light in there, should be do-able.

Barry