Part 2: Reading Plugs, pistons, and valves (with Pics)

Walter Sherwin wsherwin at home.com
Wed Dec 6 05:24:12 GMT 2000

The "flexible" version of this instrument is called an endoscope, whereas
the rigid version of this instrument is called an "arthroscope".  You want
an endoscope for in-situ analysis of internal engine organisms
............I used to rely upon the one at work to perform a sanity check
that things were either fitted or operating okay (not while running of
course).  Then time came that the 'Doc bought one for her practice.   Now,
upon fear of extreme punishment in the event of damage, I carefully "borrow"
her's from time to time for the same purpose.  You can get into places as
small as .125" diameter, and even direct your focal viewer in two planar
axis (well, polar, depending upon your perspective) .  In fact, if curious,
you can enter the intake and  go through an open intake valve and look at
the chamber/cylinder (all over) and then exit the exhaust valve of the same
cylinder if your cam has enough lift profile and overlap, without touching
the crank.  Kinda Cool!  With the right hardware, color photos or videos are
also possible.

You could probably rent these things from a scientific instrument company in
your local?  Check the Yellow Pages.  The $$$ might be a bit steep, but
NOWHERE near the cost of buying one.  Homebrewed would be good too.

Bye.