Progressive NOS (WAS Re: Part 2: Reading Plugs, pistons,

Dig turbodig at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 6 04:01:53 GMT 2000

>Date: Sun, 3 Dec 2000 12:32:38 -0500
>From: "Bruce Plecan" <nacelp at bright.net>

>IMO, there is just no way *so far* to accurately
>modulate a 800ish PSI
>solenoid.
>The Duty cyle is just soo slow, your more just
>hammering it.

Question is, do you really *need* to be that accurate?
If you size your NOS jet properly, all you're really
looking for is a mechanism to ramp NOS delivery over
time. This is essentially what the "Progressive"
NOS controllers do with some degree of success.

I would think that longevity of the solenoid would
be an issue with a DC modulated solenoid...

>Then there is the timing of events.
>The fuel always lags behind the NOS, IMO.

What if you placed the fuel solenoid physically closer

to the nozzle(s)? Make the NOS go through some extra
plumbing on the way to the nozzle...

You could also "and" the DC to the NOS solenoid with
a fuel pressure switch in the line to the nozzle,
and delay activation until there's adequate FP in the
system.

>Then synching the timing as a function of all this.
>Now if you had a
>ion
>detection for detonation, well then I'll give that
>one to you.

This is the basic question of the efficacy of knock
retard in general... how fast is fast enough?
*Any* mechanism to cut the NOS when there's deto
present(KR), is a Good Thing(tm) in my book. Better
late than never.

>There are ways, but when *bleeding down the system*
>(needs an
>accumulator),
>there is always a chance of a pan explosion.

Not following you here, I guess...

>I'd always thought it would be neat to use for
>spooling up a turbo, but
>with
>the correct calibration, that is getting to be less
>and less of an
>issue.
>Again, IMO
>Bruce

There's another potential app... control a NOS
solenoid
firing co2 into the exhaust housing until the turbo
spools up...

As far as I'm concerned, I don't want faster spool-up,
I'm already spinning 4 tires. (well, 2 and a peg-leg)
:)

Later,

Dig
turbodig at yahoo.com
'91 Syclone - 12.43 at 108 on factory original radials.