New version of BitHoist

Ludis Langens ludis at cruzers.com
Sat Dec 9 13:10:19 GMT 2000

I've uploaded source code for a new version of BitHoist to my web pages:

  http://www.cruzers.com/~ludis/BitHoist.zip

This version knows about 131 different masks, plus 44 mask ROMs (26 C3
ECM's worth).  For all except six of the masks, BitHoist checks much of
the PROM image for a specific bit pattern.  If this doesn't match, then
the PROM is not considered to be of that mask.  BitHoist can also spot
388 "stock" chips.

If your PROM image is corrupt, this new version of BitHoist will
probably reject it and say "mask unknown".  The bit pattern checking
process takes a while.  On my machine, it is averaging less than 10 ms
per bin.  I'm curious how long it takes on a slow computer.  Let me know
if BitHoist has slowed to a crawl on your machine.

There are two new options: -fix and -raw.  Fix will try to repair the
mask ID byte and sumcheck fields.  Raw doesn't try to identify the
mask+BCC - this may be useful if you are using BitHoist to convert file
formats of non-chip data.

As before, you need to compile it for your own computer.  If someone
wants an executable Mac version, I can supply one of those though.