converting a GM non computer hei distributor to a computer hei

Bob Valentine bob at tecmark.com
Mon Dec 11 06:36:09 GMT 2000

I'm in the process of doing a writeup on this for posting diy-efi website,
just don't have the pictures of the process to include.  Should be done by
the end of this week.

In short, you'll need a module, distributor harness and (preferred, but not
mandatory) pickup coil from a computer controlled distributor.  Note that
it doesn't have to be a Chevy; one from a computer-carb motor will work
also eg. Olds 307 V8, Buick V6, Chevy V6, Cad 4100, ect.   Just as long as
it's computer controlled (refered to as "CC" here forth).

The reason for changing the pickup is that the connector that goes to the
module is different (smaller) on the CC distributors.   If you change the
coil to a CC unit, it just plugs right in, but changing the coil requires
COMPLETE disassembly of the distributor.    Optionally you can use the vac
advance pickup, but you've got to either solder the wires to the module, or
add the connector from a CC pickup.

Leave the vacuum advance in place so the pickup coil doesn't move around.

You can either remove the advance weights and tack weld the shaft to the
rotor base, or just tack weld the weights so they can't move either. Note I
said "TACK WELD", too much heat and you'll burn up the seal in the
distributor housing.

Most TPI harness have a 4-wire distributor connector for the small-cap
style distributor.   This won't fit the earlier large cap style dist.   Get
the mating connector for your dist. harness from a junkyard harness and
splice it into the engine harness.  Most junkyards cut the harness after
the connectors, so it comes with the distributor.   Non-Chevy CC dist's are
cheap and plentiful.  The color code between the earlier computer-carb
dist's and the later FI apps are the same.

-> Bob Valentine
-> bob at tecmark.com