converting a GM non computer hei distributor to a computer hei

WEG1192 at aol.com WEG1192 at aol.com
Mon Dec 11 23:39:43 GMT 2000

In order for the timing to be advanced, the reluctor has to "outrun" the
distributor shaft, so when accelerating or cruising, the distributor shaft is
pushing the reluctor shaft essentially keeping them in contact. Therefore the
only time "slop" enters the picture is on decel when the shaft is actually
slowing down and the reluctor "might" lag a bit due to angular momentum. If
sloppy timing is a problem on decel, then you could weld them together for
insurance, but I've been running just strong springs for 5 months with no
problems. I don't want to permanently lock down the mechanical advance
because I may want to map the distributor curve in the chip at a later date
just for kicks to see how far off the non-computer curve is from the computer
advance curve. On my Jeep, I found the non computer distributor advance curve
to be about all the engine could handle.  JW