Detonation 101

Bruce Plecan nacelp at bright.net
Tue Dec 12 16:04:29 GMT 2000

Damage this bad, might be from mechanical failure, ie some part running
fallind lose in the engine.  Kinda hard to day with out seeing all the
related bits.
But, I'd venture that is was detonation,
While the cool of the piston in general ain't too bad is you look at the
**front** of the block you'll see where the piston is natural AL.  I'd bet
money, that the engine detonated, lifted the head even (blew the
headgasket), and then just started consuming itself.

 http://students.washington.edu/mlui/temp/blown_engine/blown_block1.JPG

Which leads to some interesting points.
Was this a sudden failure?.
The final last huray of the engine may have been in seconds, but something
like trace detonation may have been eating at it for a long time.
   Nother case of reading plugs might have saved the motor.
EFI content is that a K/S in it's self is no guarantee.
Bruce