Chatting with a 730

D. Barry Stubbs z24man at earthlink.net
Sat Jul 15 04:33:04 GMT 2000

<Chapter 2>

Thanks to all of the help so far on this subject.  I tried changing the
PROBE's request code, but I can't tell much of a difference except that
I seem to have less checksum errors.  ALDLMON still doesn't function.

Here's a log of the PROBE output with the new request string: [14k]

http://www.geocities.com/z24_man/730/log-new-request.txt

Here's a batch of chatter it recorded, engine off, key on : [8k]

http://www.geocities.com/z24_man/730/chatter-engine-off.txt

And here's with the engine running: [9k]

http://www.geocities.com/z24_man/730/chatter-engine-running.txt

I'm beginning to wonder if the interface itself is the problem.  FWIW,
I've built the two-transistor interface as modified by Andrew Mattei
with the exception that I'm using an external power source instead of it
being port powered from the laptop.  I've verified the resistor values
and diode voltage drops, and the drops between gates on the two
transistors.  Continuity is good across the data inputs as well as from
interface to laptop.  My only thought, assuming a bad interface, is a
marginally bad transistor or two.  Anyone have a bad experience with
Radio Shack transistors?

As you can probably tell, I'm really green on this stuff, but I'm trying
to learn hands on.  More 730-related reading coming up.